The new S5 generator sets incorporate all manner of design and innovation features that make it one of the most technologically advanced and competitive products in the European rental market.
HIMOINSA has designed generator sets with Yanmar, FPT and Scania engines that include a new after-treatment system to guarantee an emissions reduction that is in compliance with EU Regulation 2016/1628 for non-road mobile machinery (NRMM). This has implied a qualitative leap that ensures a reduction of up to 90% of emissions of harmful components with respect to the previous technology.
Guaranteeing a wide power range of from 9 to 550 KVA in P.R.P., the S5 range has been designed taking into account such factors as maintenance, durability, fuel consumption, and the final cost of the machine to make it one of the most competitive products in the rental sector in Europe.
One of the main components of the S5 generator sets is their control units, meticulously designed to ensure a secure and efficient coordination with the control units of the new Stage V engines.
These are compact generator sets that integrate all emission reduction systems and AdBlue’s tank in a robust and functional canopy. The new range incorporates a heavy-duty chassis whose pull skid has been reinforced and also includes protections at the accesses for forklift. The drip tray is designed to withstand 100% of the engine liquids.
To ensure the highest levels of impermeability new doors have been designed whose upper face is angled at 20 degrees. This prevents water filtration and oxidation points caused by an accumulation of stagnant water. The canopies of the S5 generator sets retain the rest of the components that have been added to the other ranges to withstand heavy rains and snowfall.
HIMOINSA has incorporated a new layer in the process it follows to paint and protect metal parts. This involves a zinc-rich primer prior to the final finish that gives the canopy 1,500 hours of resistance to salt spray testing in accordance with ISO 12944, which classifies the protection used by HIMOINSA as C5 High. As they are made in stainless steel, all the door locks and hinges of this new range are more resistant.
In order to reduce noise emissions even further, S5 generator sets incorporate a special rock wool insulation whose thickness in certain areas has been increased from 50mm to 100mm. Components of different densities and characteristics are used at the air inlets to reduce noise in a broad spectrum of frequencies. The location and layout of the air inlets have also been optimized to mitigate noise.
The S5 range includes a new control and power panel at the rear of the canopy which affords several competitive advantages:
- It minimizes noise emissions. The panel is isolated from the engine room so there is no exposure to noise while the control unit is being handled.
It facilitates maintenance. The panels can be replaced without having to remove the canopy.
- Versatility for use. As it is manufactured in a modular way, different combinations of panels and electrical outlet configurations are possible and the industrial bases can be replaced by powerlocks with a capacity of 100% of the power available in the genset.
- Accessibility and reduction of space. The usual power outlet is replaced by a lower one that limits the total footprint of the genset and improves access when any kind of manipulation is required.
To ensure easy transportation. The new design has optimized the location of the lifting points; the single point is replaced by two side plates with different points distributed longitudinally to stabilize the lifting of the genset. In addition, the drawbar and the forklift accesses have been retained.
Optimization of maintenance and running costs
S5 generator sets, primarily those with power greater than 80 kVA, guarantee running costslower than those of generator sets with Stage IIIA engines, mainly due to a significant reduction of fuel consumption. Most S5 models incorporate a new after-treatment system for gases that require a greater investment in filters and spare parts for new components. However, the fuel consumption of the new engine is significantly lower, which ensures lower operating costs than generator sets with Stage IIIA engines.
In parallel, HIMOINSA has made the fuel tanks of their S5 generator sets the same size as the AdBlue tank to match their fuel and urea running time, thereby reducing running tasks and costs. The HRFW 200 S5 model that is being presented at Bauma, incorporates a fuel tank with a capacity of 600L with a running time of 14 hours. The consumption of urea in an S5 genset is roughly 10% of the fuel consumption.
To facilitate access for maintenance purposes, the S5 Range incorporates:
- A hinged door that provides access to the after-treatment system for maintenance, and to the radiator for cleaning. This new door is also used to fill the AdBlue tank.
- Wider doors to ensure better access to all the engine and alternator components for correct maintenance and for the replacement of consumables.
- Maintenance intervals of 500 hours, which in certain models can be increased to 1000 hours thanks to accessories. In other models, 800-hour intervals will be offered as standard without the need for additional components.
- Drain valves to make it easier to clean the radiator. S5 generator sets with FPT and Scania engines include low coolant level sensors that provide an additional point of control to prevent overheating before it occurs, thereby lengthening the life of the engine.
- Internal fuel filling tank to prevent theft and accidental spillage of fuel during loading.